One of the big factors in the success of a top commercial real estate broker is that they are known by the property people in the local area; they have a brand that is hard to ignore and forget. In saying that, the brand for the broker should be overwhelmingly positive and professional in every way. This image is a marketing choice to be nurtured over time.
The concept here is that listing and commission success will help sell more listings, market your services, and attract more clients. Are you up to the challenge of ‘living the legend’?
Here are some things to consider as you strive to improve your personal brand in this way:
- What do you specialize in? – The people in the local area should know you for particular property types and strategies. Grow your industry marketing practices with a focus on certain property types. You cannot specialize in everything; so don’t try. Be known as the ‘go to’ person for a segment and a location. It directly follows that the segment and location that you specialize in should have lots of opportunity. Do a specific market analysis of your investors, property types and competitors. How can you understand those factors?
- Face to face marketing is really important in our game – You have to get in front of the right people so that they can see you, remember you, and trust you. Without those 3 things, the business that we work in is a bit tough and slow. Create that ‘personal’ element to your business, and get in front of the property owners, decision makers, and leaders. Create the connections.
- Shorter times on market show that you are a committed marketer and broker – Push your quality listings into the targeted segments so that the people know the facts about the property. Keep the client conditioned and aware of market circumstances. Refresh the listing with new photos, copy, layout, and online or offline media choices.
- Exclusive listings should be demanded if you are going to devote the time to the process of local area marketing – Exclusive listings take more work in so many different ways. If you convert a listing in this way, then you simply have to put the time and effort in to moving it.
- Local area marketing will help you lift local area awareness – Define your local area geographically so you know where you are promoting properties and prospecting for them. You cannot be an agent over every property type and location; it simply doesn’t work that way. Specialize and be known for that; make sure that the people in the market know you for that specialization.
- Every successful transaction should be leverage for new business – Communicate your listing successes into the local area via success letters, business canvassing, brochures, social media, blogs, and editorials.
- Every high quality listing will give you plenty of opportunity to talk to others – It is really important that you use your top quality listings comprehensively to get in contact with other local people. Deliberately call down all local property owners, investors, and business leaders to tell them about your high quality listings.
- Target marketing is quite special and should be an element of every exclusive listing – When you get a listing, move it fast and tell the target market in so many different ways. Talk about the listing and make conversations.
So let’s call this ‘Legend Leverage’. Put yourself into and throughout the marketing efforts of the best properties and the best clients. Show the entire property market and the key people that you are the person that comprehensively drives the property inquiry and consistently converts the new business.