In commercial real estate agency it is very easy to get tied up with the issues of the day as they arise. Your clients, fellow staff members, and property marketing issues all can put significant pressure on you. When you work with a commission based salary it is really critical that you use your time well.
So just what does the average day look like for a typical agent? Try some of these:
- Client contact has to occur with your exclusive listings
- Advertising and marketing has to be sent out
- Property inspections need to occur
- Negotiations are ongoing
- Deals should be progressed for the clients
- Prospecting should be done
I could go on and add to the list; I am sure you would have a few more to add. The fact of the matter is that a commercial real estate agent is a very busy person. To preserve your sanity as you progress through a busy day you should set aside time for yourself.
Here are some ideas to help you:
- Exercise will help your stamina but more importantly it will help you with the required focus. Some of the negotiations that we have and the clients that we serve are quite a challenge. Daily exercise will help you with that. So where do you fit the extra time for this exercise? The best time is at the beginning of the day, and quite early. Between 5 am and 7 am you can do your workout. By the time you get to the office, you are well prepared for the challenges of the day ahead.
- The key skills in commercial real estate that we are involved with are marketing, prospecting, negotiation, and documentation. They are all quite special issues and can involve some high level challenges. On a personal level you can practice what you do here. Refine your skills and improve them so you are an expert at the critical parts of your business. Practice every day; lift your skills and knowledge in these areas.
- You can work in time frames of 2 hours. It is known that the average adult has a focus factor of about 2 hours before they want to do something else. Use this fact in the planning of your daily activities and have short breaks before you move on to something else.
In commercial real estate agency, the success we achieve is largely self-generated. I go back to the point that your personal focus and personal development will help you here.