Today there are many pressures competitively in commercial real estate brokerage. It is harder to stand out in the already crowded property market place and location where many brokers and agents are quite likely to be very active. Consider these questions:
- Why should a prospective client listen to you?
- Why should they choose you over other local agents?
- What can you do that is more relevant to them?
Questions like these can identify a very simple problem. Most agents and brokers don’t comprehensively match their services into the needs of the client base and local area. They simply do not ‘stand out’ in any meaningful way.
How can you stand out as the local property agent to fulfil the property requirement for the client? The answers that you provide cannot be ordinary and generic. Far too many salespeople usually say that they ‘can be trusted’, ‘work harder for the client’, or ‘have lots of local knowledge and or skills’. What a lot of ‘rubbish’! Don’t repeat these errors. The clients that we work with are more selective today than ever before. They want the best agents with the best market coverage. Is that you?
Get specific in your personal marketing and branding; stand out in the crowded property market. Build a large and obvious market presence that the clients and investors locally cannot ignore. If you are the best agent for the location and property task at hand, then show it! How? Do things differently.
Run Some Speaking Engagements
One of the best ways to build a ‘specialist local property presence’ fast is to offer and create speaking engagements at local clubs, institutions, business groups, and gatherings of business owners. You have lots of things to talk about. Many local groups would like to hear about property changes and trends.
Notably, public speaking is not for everyone. It is a skill and it does take some practice to refine and optimise. The best way to grow your speaking skills for our industry is through regularly attending a group like ‘Toastmasters’ where you can watch other people, try out your own speaking skills, and then practice.
Thinking more about this? Topics that you can talk on in commercial property include:
- Precinct activity in a Town or City
- Property Expectations of Businesses and Industries today
- Price and Rent Changes over recent years
- Vacancy Factors for the City
- New Development Trends
- Occupancy costs for a business today
- Lease documentation alternatives for business owners and investors
- Investment Trends in the City or Greater Region
- Local area zoning and infrastructure changes
- Property improvements and running costs
- Tenant Mix Strategies and Targets to Improve Rent and Occupancy
So the message here is that you can build a local profile as a top agent by talking about the property market. Use your connections in the local business community to offer your speaking services to interested parties.
You can get more tips about lead generation in commercial real estate brokerage in our eCourse ‘Snapshot’ right here.