In commercial real estate agency most of the things that we do successfully are based on timing. In many respects a successful sales or leasing transaction will be based on knowing the right people and connecting with them in the right way at the right time. It helps a lot if your clients and prospects remember you!
In these days of competition between real estate agents, it is wise to remember that any client that is of some substance and relevance to the property market will be targeted by many agents most of the time. On that basis your approach to a client should be well planned and structured so that you stand out as the agent of importance and dominance in the area.
To help with this process here are some tips and ideas that you can use in the canvassing and networking process with prospects and clients.
- Give out your business cards at every opportunity. In most respects a business card will be retained by the person that you give it to. Whilst all the other clever marketing material from your agency may be available for you to use, it is the business card that will provide the long term impact and leverage.
- If possible, get your professional photograph placed on your business card. This will help the client to remember you and your relevance. Do not use a photograph that is taken from the agency archives or (even worse) something that was taken in poor light or in the wrong surroundings. To look the part as a top agent, you must have a photograph that tells the story.
- Send relevant news clippings to your clients and prospects as part of a monthly industry update. Scan the local newspaper daily for items that may be of interest when it comes to property changes, upgrades, occupancy, rentals, or prices.
- Start an industry and property blog as a place to share information about the local area and property trends. Load a blog weekly and link it to your email newsletters. Put your personal knowledge and character into your blog so it is interesting, professional and relevant.
- Make it a rule to contact all of your prospects and clients at least once every 90 days. If the person is soon to be active in property, then the contact cycle is much shorter. It is known that the regular contact process of 90 days will help you with personal branding and client connection opportunities when the right property or situation arises.
You can add to this list based on your local area and activities of property investors and business owners. Constant contact will help you get the results that you need.