In commercial real estate agency you can be easily distracted each day with many different pressures from clients, buyers, sellers, tenants, and other sales team members. People will want to talk to you and use or take up your valuable time. For this reason you must set some access rules and stick to them.
In commercial real estate agency a salesperson or agent without a day plan is generally a poor performer and underachiever. Organisation and results go hand in hand. There are no shortcuts.
Here are some tips to help you plan your day and get some traction in building your market share:
- The number one priority in commercial real estate today is in prospecting. Every day you must reach out into the market and find new people to talk to. Devote 3 hours to the process on a typical business day.
- The Pareto Principle says that you should find that 80% of your business will come from 20% of your efforts. When you know what that 20% factor is you simply do more of it. Prospecting is generally the key factor to optimise.
- The Circadian Cycle is a human biological clock. It infers that we have two efficiency peaks to the working day. The first is in the morning up until 11 a.m. and the next is mid-afternoon till about 6 p.m. Build your working day so you can do the important things during these windows of time.
- It takes about 20 minutes to get started into anything that is complex. Once started you are good for about 2 hours of concentration. In business and in commercial real estate this says that you must keep people away from you for the nominated times, otherwise you have to ‘reset the clock’ and you lose your focus. In a busy office with plenty of distractions, you get little work done. That is the reason why it is so. Control your focus and time.
- Many of us have ‘online’ diaries and computers to tell us what to do. This is all very nice and convenient, but the fact of the matter is that computers are not ‘organisational friendly’ when it comes to deciding priorities. It is a proven fact that when you write things down, you tend to deal with those things. To put some power back into your working day, take a diary with you home each night and write down issues of the next day from your computer diary. Write them into your book and set the times to do the work. The same strategy can apply to tasks. This is a powerful organisational tool.
These are very simple concepts that can be put into your working day. They can help you become a top agent. The power and success in your commercial real estate business is in how you use your day.