Most commercial real estate agents want to be very successful in the industry. This can be achieved by commencing a process of cold calling to grow your market share. Over time you will get more meetings with the right people and this will lead to better listings.
It is a known fact that the quality of the listings that you create in the industry will help you with growing your database of buyers and tenants. Over time the database will be a great source of deals and commissions.
So how can you make the cold calling process work for you? Here are a few ideas:
- Start the day with practice. If you practice your call conversations and dialogue, you will soon improve your conversions of calls to meetings faster than others in your office. It is the meetings that you create that lead to listings and or deals.
- Capture new people into your database. You can never have too many new people on your list. When you put new people into the database you will create the churn that you need in the industry. Your contact pipeline will be fresh and you will not be competing in so many situations where other agents are chasing the same business.
- Remain in contact with prospects at least every 90 days. Eventually this will do two things. It will establish you as the professional and committed person that you want to be, and it will help the client remember you when they get to the point of listing or acting on their property needs. ‘Top of mind’ is really important in our industry.
- Go to the office to make the calls every morning. Do your calls before you do anything else. Do not let meetings and clients distract you from building your business in the call contact process.
- Understand that you will have some degree of call reluctance for some days if not weeks. That being said, the mindset soon changes and you then know how the process will be of benefit to you.
- Prepare the night before for all of your calls. This is really important in the early stages of building your market share and prospect list.
- Track your numbers through a good database. It is a personal requirement that you enter contact detail into the database. If you have a computer in front of you as you call this is fairly easy. When you track your numbers you can see where things are improving and you will take ownership of what you are doing.
- Prepare your voice and dialogue by practice each day. When you are driving your car, talk through the cold call dialogue. The more that you can do this, the easier your outbound calls will get.
The main reason some agents find cold calling so tough is that they do not ‘stick it out’ for long enough. It takes about 3 weeks of deliberate call process to break through the barrier and form this valuable habit.