In commercial real estate brokerage there will some daily tasks that are far more important than others. When you really understand that fact you can start to build your real estate business.
Ask yourself these questions:
- So what are the tasks that are really important for you to do each day as a broker or agent?
- What are the things that you can still do that will help you take your real estate business onward and upward?
- What are the things that are diverting your day now and wasting your time?
When you consider the answers you will quickly see the correct way to ‘mend’ your business and help it grow. From that point onwards everything comes down to you and your choices.
When you look at the agent roles of sales, leasing, and property management there are different priorities in each case. In the situation of sales and leasing agents, the activities of the day should really be directed firstly to new business and prospecting, and that is before you connect with current clients and follow up on existing listings. In property management, agents are usually heavily loaded with current portfolio activity and servicing clients; the new business focus is therefore a bit different.
Here are some ways to simplify your already busy day and get better results in most cases:
- Before you do anything else in a working day, focus on proactive things that help you build your business and commission opportunities.
- Group your reactive or administrative tasks to the ‘non peak’ times of day. For salespeople that will usually be at the end of the day.
- Don’t let the mobile telephone or your emails shift your priorities. Start your day with a plan and stick to it.
- Track your efforts, results, and systems in the business. Over time you will soon see how you can improve things.
- Don’t let others and lengthy meetings eat into your time and diary. The priorities of others will not usually bring you personal results.
Don’t complicate your commercial real estate career. Make the choices that can impact your day and start improving them.